This dazzling knit-in-one-piece pillow has a sparkling center motif created with various rhinestone shapes that help this pillow steal the show. Complete with a nubby textured seed stitch border that surrounds the floral center, you can’t go wrong with this bling-tastic design.
Skill Level: Easy
Size: Fits 16” x 16” pillow insert
Gauge: 4 sts and 7 rows =1” [2.5 cm] in Seed St.
Yarn: Red Heart Supersaver (100% Acrylic; 364 yards [333 meters]/198 grams): #3945 Blue Suede (MC, 1 skein)
Needles: US size 9 (5.5 mm) 10” straight
Notions: Fairfield Poly-fil® Soft Touch® 16” / [41 cm] x 16” / [41 cm] pillow insert, Darice® Sew On Clear Rhinestones Clear Big Value 2 pkgs #1075-12 and 3 pkgs #1075-21 30g, Darice® #324C Quilter’s Invisible .004 Nylon thread, sewing needle with a small eye that will go through hole openings of rhinestone ends, removable stitch markers, tapestry needle, cloth measuring tape, blocking supplies.
Beginning Secure Slip Knot tip
(See photo tutorial below)
Note: White thread was used instead of clear nylon so stitching would show in photos.
Thread a 36” strand through hand sewing needle, tie ends together with a very tight overhand knot. Bring needle from WS to RS of pillow where rhinestone is to be sewn, insert needle through hole of rhinestone, insert needle over side edge of rhinestone from RS to WS through pillow and between the 2 thread strands on WS. Completely pull threads through to complete a beginning secure slip knot which will securely hold the knot on the WS of the piece and will not pull through to RS. Use this beginning secure slip knot whenever starting a new double strand of thread.
This pattern is worked flat in one piece beginning and ending at bottom seam.
Sew all rhinestones onto pillow using a long doubled strand of invisible thread and small eye sewing needle.
With MC, CO 67 sts.
Row 1: Beginning at back bottom edge, (k1, p1) across to last st, k last st.
Rep Row 1 until piece meas 19.5”, ending on a WS row.
Next Row (RS): (K1, p1) 7 times, k1, pm, k37, pm, (k1, p1) 7 times, k last st.
Next Row: (K1, p1) 7 times, k1, sm, p37, sm, (k1, p1) 7 times, k last st.
Rep last 2 rows alternately until piece meas 28.5”, ending on a WS row.
Next Row (RS): Rep Row 1 until piece meas 32”.
BO all sts.
- Block piece to 32” long x 14.5” wide, with stockinette square on front of pillow meas 9” x 9”.
- Using measuring tape, place one 20 mm round rhinestone in center of 9” stockinette area on front of pillow and use Beginning Secure Slip Knot tip and nylon thread to sew onto pillow.
- Using positions on a clock face as a guide, place one 18mm oval rhinestone at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 o’clock around center rhinestone and sew into position.
- Position and sew a 2nd 18mm oval rhinestone approximately 2.125” away from first oval rhinestone.
- Make 12 “pre-sewn links” consisting of six 10 cm rhinestones as follows: Line six 10 cm round rhinestones onto a flat surface. Beginning at left side edge of link
Beginning Secure Slip Knot tip.
Thread a hand sewing needle with an eye small enough to pass through holes on ends of rhinestones and tie thread ends together with a very tight overhand knot. Bring needle from WS to RS insert needle through right hole of first rhinestone, insert needle over side edge of rhinestone and between the 2 thread strands just before overhand knot. Completely pull threads through to complete a Beginning Secure Slip Knot.
Insert needle from RS to WS in left hole of next rhinestone.
Insert needle from WS to RS in right hole of previous rhinestone.
Insert needle from RS to WS back through left hole of next rhinestone.
Insert needle from WS to RS up through hole on opposites side of same rhinestone.
Thread will lie against WS of rhinestone after Step 5.
Rep Steps 2-6 to add next 3rd-6th rhinestones to each link.
- Position and sew 2 rhinestone links between a set of ovals to create a petal. Rep around to add 2 links to each set of ovals to create remaining 5 petals.
- To create sparkling background, randomly position and sew one 8 mm and two 4 mm rhinestones between each petal.
- Fold pillow WS together, matching CO and BO edges at bottom seam. Beginning on either side edge, thread tapestry needle with 1 strand of yarn and use your favorite seaming method to sew side edges of pillow together. Rep for opposite side. Place pillow form inside pillow and seam bottom seam in same manner.