Brinley is a show-stopper tote bag which features snazzy beaded fringe and clever “make your own” double rattan handles.
Time: Weekend Project
Skill Level: Easy
Size: 12 ¾” W x 12 ½” H, excluding handles
Gauge: 15 sts and 23 rows = 4” [10 cm] in seed st
Yarn: Circulo Amigurumi Maxi (100% mercerized cotton; 125 yards [114 meters]/135 grams): #4095 (3 balls) from www.circuloyarns.com/
Needles: US size 8 (5.00 mm) straight needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
Notions: Tapestry needle, dental floss threader, blocking supplies
- 1 pair each 8” #RATPHo8 and 6” # RATPH06 diameter burnt rattan purse handles, from kingskountry.com
- Euro Wood Beads: 44 each #50306 light brown 6×9 mm cylinder; #51910 light brown 8 mm round and #52011 mahogany 10 mm round from artbeads.com
CO 47 sts.
Row 1 (RS): K across. (47 sts)
Rows 2-12: K.
Rows 13-67: *K1, p1, rep from * across.
Rows 68-77: K.
Row 1: With RS facing, pick up and knit a stitch in each st along CO edge. (47 sts)
Rows 2-77: Rep Rows 2-77 of first panel.
Block piece to measurements and allow to dry.
Beaded Tassel Handles (make 2)
Handle Top Wrap Edge
Wind one 4-yd length of yarn into a yarn butterfly to use as working yarn. Insert one 6” handle inside one 8” handle, with outer top edge of smaller handle touching inner top edge of larger handle. Using yarn butterfly and leaving a 6” beg tail, wrap yarn over outer edge of larger handle and around smaller handle once, knot beg tail with working yarn to secure (WS), turn handles to RS, continue to wrap yarn around larger and smaller handle until larger handle top edge is wrapped 4 1/4”. Cut yarn leaving an 8” tail, knot and weave in end on WS of handle.
Handle Bottom Wrap Edge
Wind two 5-yd lengths of yarn into yarn butterflies to use as the working yarn. Beginning at center bottom edge of larger handle with WS facing, using one yarn butterfly and *leaving an 8” beg tail, wrap yarn over bottom inside edge of smaller handle and around outer edge of larger handle, knot beg tail with working yarn to secure. Turn handle to RS**, working to left of first wrap, continue to wrap yarn evenly over bottom inside edge of smaller handle and around outer edge of larger handle 3 more times, +sk approximately ½“ along outer edge of larger handle, [wrap yarn over bottom inside edge of smaller handle and around outer edge of larger handle] 4 times++, rep from + to ++ 4 times, knot remaining yarn tail on WS and weave in to secure.**
Working to right of first wrap with 2nd yarn butterfly, rep from * to **, continue to wrap yarn evenly around bottom inside edge of smaller handle and outer edge of larger handle 3 more times, rep from + to ++ 5 times. (12 sets of 4 wraps)
(Note: There is approximately 5 1/2” of unwrapped outer edge of larger handle on each side between top and bottom wrapped edges)
Tassels & Beading
- Cut 33 yarn strands each 20” long, stack 3 together having cut ends even and fold in half to find center of tassel. Insert fold of 3 tassel strands from front to back over larger handle bottom edge and from back to front under handle bottom edge through unworked ½” sp between 2 sets of wraps at bottom center, bring cut ends down through fold and gently pull ends to form a larks head knot over handle, [insert fold of next 3 tassel strands from front to back over larger handle bottom edge and from back to front under handle bottom edge through next unworked ½” sp along outer edge of larger handle, bring cut ends down through fold and gently pull ends to tighten and form a larks head knot] rep to add one tassel between each remaining 1/2” sp bet wraps. (11 tassels added)
- With Handle bottom RS facing, trim center tassel to approximately 8” below lark’s head knot, working to right, *trim next tassel to 7 ½”, trim next 4 tassels to 7” each**. Working to left of center tassel, rep from * to ** 5 times.
- [Thread one tassel end through dental floss threader and insert through one bead, tightly tie a knot approximately 1” from end. Trim end below knot to 3/8”] rep to add 2 each of cylinder, 8 mm and 10 mm beads per tassel. (44 each cylinder, 6 mm and 1 0mm beads added to tassels of both handles)
Using photo as placement guide, center one completed handle along tote top edge with WS together. With right side edge of handle bottom RS facing, thread tapestry needle with a 1 1/2-yd length of yarn, insert needle from back to front to back through tote and over first wrap on WS of handle, insert needle from back to front to back through tote and over the top of the next lark’s head knot directly below] rep across bottom of handle to opposite top edge. Knot securely. With bottom edge of smaller handle RS facing, thread needle with a separate 1 1/2-yd strand of yarn, beg on right side, insert needle from back to front to back through tote and over wraps on WS of handle] rep across to opposite top edge, knot securely. Rep to sew 2nd handle to 2nd panel of tote. Fold RS of tote panels together having top edge even and whip stitch ends of rows to create side seam. Turn tote RS out.