Learn how to do a provisional cast on with this lovely tutorial from Paola Albergamo. You can use this tutorial to help you complete the Boccioli Infinity Scarf from the April 2017 issue of I Like Knitting. Enjoy!
Take a length of waste yarn longer than the length of the finished CO, to comfortably hold all necessary stitches.
1) Make a slip knot with the working yarn and place it on the needle.
2) Hold the needle, the working yarn and the waste yarn tails with your right hand, keeping the waste yarn in front of the working yarn.
Put the left hand around the long strands of both working yarn and waste yarn, with working yarn over the thumb and waste yarn over your index finger.
3) Bring your needle under the working yarn, thus picking up a loop of yarn.
This is your second stitch.
4) Turn over your left hand so to reverse the positions of working yarn and waste yarn. In this way, the working yarn wrap itself under the waste yarn.
5) Bring your needle under the working yarn, thus picking up your third stitch.
Repeat Steps 4-5 until you reach the total number of stitches to cast-on.